We're two days shy of 15 weeks, but I'm calling it 15.

So much is happening around here. I don't know where to start! I know I'll forget things, so I'm just going to free-write about whatever comes to mind.
Tonight Amalie was pretty fussy. I think she's hit a growth spurt & might even be teething. I've been sick for a week, so she might be getting what I had or reacting to my hacking cough, barely-there voice, & general sickly demeanor. So tonight she wouldn't stop crying (this is really rare for her, Silas was an easy baby, but Amalie is even better). So I was rocking, patting, & shh-shushing her. Silas was at his table (a little table in the living room) eating his supper. He hopped out of his seat & climbed up on the couch with us. Just as I was about to pause my shh-shh-shhing to tell him that he should get back to his supper he leaned into me, hugged me, & with the most sincere looks ever he told me that he wants to be a mommy like me. So now what am I supposed to say to that? I didn't tell him to get back in his seat & eat ;) But he did just that after I thanked him for saying that. Some days the child drives me up the wall. Then he does something like that to make up for it all!
A good friend of me once told me that her son told her this same thing. I wondered if I'd ever hear if from Silas. It's almost as good as the first time that they tell you that they love you. Maybe it's better because you know they aren't just mirroring something that they hear you saying.
This past week we traded in my Nissan Versa for a Dodge Caravan. That's a damn big change. We were bursting at the seams of the Versa, but I'm still nervous about parking the giant van. I also can't decide where to keep the car seats. In the Versa Silas's & Amalie's car seats were right next to each other - they were packed in like sardines. This had it's advantages though. Silas could comfort Amalie whenever she needed it. He really did a great job at this. He held her hand & talked her through every stop light (Amalie does not appreciate being in any seat unless it's moving - car seat, stroller, etc). He held up her toys for her to look at. He held up his hand, opening & closing it (while chanting "open, close, open, close") when nothing else would work. Now he's too far away from her to do much good :/ I think we're all a little uncomfortable about that. Even so, he loves the van & he's not even discovered the dual screen DVD players! We're planning on pulling that out on our first big trip. :D
Amalie is growing like crazy. She talks to me constantly. Sometimes she has so much to say in the mornings that she has to stop nursing to tell me things. Sometimes she tries to talk with her mouth full. Her favorite toy seems to be a jingly, crinkly, Lamaze Owl that I bought her, closely followed by a pink bunny that my cousins Cathy, Sean, Quinn, Cara, & Kyle sent her. I think that I might now rival Silas for her favorite person. For a time it was all Silas all the time for her. She still lights up when she hears his name &/or voice. But she now really goes crazy for our "alone time" in the very early morning. That's when she really talks my head off. Tonight we tried a little rice cereal for the first time. She quite enjoyed it.
In addition to being the most awesome big brother ever, Silas continues his love of all things superhero. Today he had to wear a superman costume all day (to church, out to lunch, & to the grocery store after nap). Yesterday he wore his Batman costume all day (the only reason he wasn't Batman today is because the costume is covered in peanut butter & I refused to let him wear it). When Jason got home from work yesterday, Silas gave Jason his other batman cape & drug him outside to play on the swing set. Amalie was nursing at the time, so I sat by the window watching them. I couldn't help but think that Silas has become *that* Max. Especially in the costume...
Perhaps some of our biggest news is that Silas has decided to be potty trained. I'm not sure that Jason & I can take much credit. It seems that once he decided to take the leap, he just did!
As I am constantly reminded in this summer of babies, they grow up all too fast. This past week the seventh baby (in just 4 months) in my circle of family, friends, & coworkers was born! Seeing all these little ones grow is really something!
I'll end with some pictures...
1 comment:
Love your stories--you have such great kids!
Post a Comment