Wednesday, March 17, 2010

28 weeks

Time flies! I am already neglecting my second child by barely documenting this pregnancy! I think I had at least weekly updates with Silas's pregnancy. Oh well, life is not so easy being pregnant & having a two year old.

Silas has not been terribly cooperative of late. He's decided that I must be by him all the time. I feel like I can barely breathe sometimes. It's not all bad. While Silas has been quite verbal since he was less than a year old, he's really something now! He can go on & on about things, tells long stories (sometimes real & sometimes fiction), & comes up with the funniest stuff. His memory is probably better than mine at this point. My best parenting tool (distraction) no longer works at all. He remembers things over weeks & months - you can't pull anything over on him! He's becoming somewhat... um... bossy, opinionated, & quite the little smarty pants. Jason says he really didn't have much of a chance to be anything other than this & I can't disagree. I also can't say that I don't find value in these qualities... but they certainly can be trying. It's also very difficult to discipline him when you really just want to laugh! But we do our best.

The child is obsessed with Batman. He also really likes Mickey Mouse, Spiderman, Ironman, & Wolverine (listed in order of preference)... I don't know where this superhero fascination came from. Other favorite things are animals - pretty much all animals that he knows about, current & extinct. He talks a lot about trees too. We're working on the difference between evergreen & deciduous. He can identify pine trees by name, but those are the only reliable ones thus far. He can identify magnolias, but he just calls them "my tree." I guess it's because we have one in the back yard... but we also have two oaks & a Japanese maple, so I don't know why the magnolia is the only one that is "his" tree. I'm really just happy that he likes trees.

I think he's preparing to be a big brother in his own way. I think that a lot of his behavior problems stem from anxiety over realizing that he will soon not be the only child in the house. For a while he would waffle from wanting his little sister here NOW to NOT wanting a little sister...
Did I mention that we are having a GIRL?! No? I thought not... I'll get to that later.
He's moved beyond this & is trying to understand the time it will take for her to grow big enough to come out of my belly. He's talking a lot about girls & boys & how girls can have babies in their bellies & boys don't. He is also bonding with the baby dolls at school (we need to get him a more traditional baby doll for home - he only has a tiny one & some soft dolls that aren't really babies). He feeds, gives water, puts down for naps, just generally loves this one particular doll at school. When I pick him up he wants me to hold them both on my lap. Hopefully he'll be as nice to his little sister!

& now I think it's time to get to the little sister. Our pregnancy is still pretty different from Silas's. Still different movement... I'm not sure I can really say that it's less at this point, but it is certainly less intense overall. Last weekend Aunt Pam did an ultrasound & we got some great pictures.
This is my favorite. She's resting her head on her right hand.
She looked like she was scratching her head here.
convincingly a girl
I think the spine always looks pretty

She's measuring up to her expected size - perfectly falling in the 50th percentile. I've finally been getting on track with my nutrition & very thankfully making it to my prenatal yoga classes. Yoga is a lifesaver - keeping me sane lately.

The little girl doesn't yet have a name. I think we have a good idea of what we want her first name to be, but we can't agree on the spelling... we don't know about her middle name. It's driving me a little crazy, but maybe we'll figure it out soon.

I guess that's going to have to conclude my update. Who knows when I'll get to make another entry. Hopefully it will be before she's born!

I'll leave you with this adorable little guy...

No comments: